KALW Board, Governance, & Finances
KALW PUBLIC MEDIA (KPM)
KALW Public Media, Inc. is a non-profit entity recognized by the IRS as a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable organization with ID #84-3580297, and is governed by a volunteer board of directors:
- Gentle Blythe, SFUSD Deputy Superintendent of Communications and Strategic Partnerships, and KPM Board Chair
- Jonathan Baum, Attorney, Steptoe & Johnson LLP, and KPM Board Secretary
- Joseph Creitz, Attorney, Creitz & Serebin, LLP
- Harley K. Dubois, Chief Culture Officer, Burning Man
- Ken Ikeda, Co-founder of Studiotobe, a media strategy and production
- Kyung Jin Lee, Freelance Public Radio Reporter and Producer
- Edwin Morales, Customer Support Manager, Klaviyo
- Laura Saponara, Consultant to Nonprofits and KPM Board Treasurer
- Ben Trefny, Interim Executive Director and Ex-officio Member of the Board
KALW Public Media is responsible for the operation, fundraising, distribution, and administration of the radio station KALW 91.7FM and its online content. It does so through a Production Services Operational Agreement with the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD), the FCC broadcast license holder of record.
You can contact the board of directors by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
KALW Public Media (KPM) is inviting nominations for board members. This is a professional working board. We seek diverse candidates with leadership experience and managerial chops.
Board participation is serious business. KPM is primed to continue to influence how inclusion is understood and enacted in public media, including through #PublicMediaforAll. The stronger the organization, the greater our impact.
How to nominate: Please use THIS FORM to nominate yourself or another person.
SAN FRANCISCO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT (SFUSD)
The SFUSD Board of Education is the governing board of SFUSD. As of February 2022, the commissioners are: President Jenny Lam, Vice President Kevine Boggess, and Commissioners Matt Alexander, Ann Hsu, Lainie Motamedi, Mark Sanchez, and Lisa Weissman-Ward. Board meetings are held on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month, except in July and August, when there are no meetings. Dates and times of upcoming meetings can be found here. The SFUSD Board of Education does not participate in the programming, content, and editorial decision-making of KALW's on-air schedule.
Interim Executive Director, Ben Trefny oversees programming, development, and all station operations. Ben can be contacted directly at email@example.com and at 415-841-4121.
CURRENT YEAR'S FINANCIAL AND DISCLOSURE STATEMENTS
- FY20-21 Audited Financial Statements
- FY20-21 Corporation for Public Broadcasting Annual Financial Report
- FCC Equal Employment Opportunity reports, including the most recent 2020-21 report
- TY2020 IRS Form 990
FCC PUBLIC INSPECTION FILE
The Federal Communications Commission requires that the stations it licenses maintain a public inspection file with information about the station's license, ownership and public service programming.
KALW's public inspection file is now hosted on the the FCC website. You can access that file here.