Almanac - Friday 10/25/19
It's World Pasta Day! Today is Friday, October 25, 2019, the 298th day of the year, with 67 days remaining. And only 375 days until the 2020 Presidential Election.
- Sunrise: 7:28am
- Sunset: 6:20pm ...giving us 10 hours and 52 minutes of daylight.
15% of the waning crescent moon will be visible, rising at 4:22am.
Tides at the Golden Gate
- High: 10:20am/10:22pm
- Low: 3:26am/4:04pm
Special celebrations & commemorations today…
- Constitution Day Lithuania
- Gospel Day - Cook Islands
- Republic Day - Kazakhstan
- Restoration Day - Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Day - Grenada
- Chucky, The Notorious Killer Doll Day
- Frankenstein Friday
- International Artists Day
- International Bandanna Day
- National Bread Sticks Day
- National Greasy Foods Day
- St. Crispin's Day (patron of shoemakers, glove makers and lace makers)
- World Pasta Day
On this day in…
1415 - In Northern France, England won the Battle of Agincourt over France during the Hundred Years' War. Almost 6,000 Frenchmen were killed while fewer than 400 were lost by the English.
1812 - During the War of 1812, the U.S. frigate United States captured the British vessel Macedonian.
1854 - The Charge of the Light Brigade took place during the Crimean War. The British were winning the Battle of Balaclava when Lord James Cardigan received an order to attack the Russians. He took his troops into a valley and suffered 40 percent casualties. Later it was revealed that the order was the result of confusion and was not given intentionally.
1870 - The first U.S. trademark was given. The recipient was the Averill Chemical Paint Company of New York City.
1917 - The Bolsheviks (Communists) under Vladimir Ilyich Lenin seized power in Russia.
1929 - Alber B. Fall, of U.S. President Harding's cabinet, was found guilty of taking a bribe. He was sentenced to a year in prison and fined $100,000.
1951 - In Panmunjom, peace talks concerning the Korean War resumed after 63 days.
1955 - The microwave oven, for home use, was introduced by The Tappan Company.
1958 - U.S. Marines withdrew from Beirut, Lebanon. They had been sent in on July 25, 1958, to protect the nation's pro-Western government.
1962 - U.S. Ambassador Adlai Stevenson presented photographic evidence to the United Nations Security Council. The photos were of Soviet missile bases in Cuba.
1962 - American author John Steinbeck was awarded the Nobel Prize in literature.
1971 - The U.N. General Assembly voted to expel Taiwan and admit mainland China.
1983 - U.S. troops and soldiers from six Caribbean nations invaded Grenada to restore order and provide protection to U.S. citizens after a recent coup within Grenada's Communist (pro-Cuban) government.
1990 - It was announced by U.S. Defense Secretary Dick Cheney that the Pentagon was planning to send 100,000 more troops to Saudi Arabia.
2001 - It was announced that scientists had unearthed the remains of an ancient crocodile which lived 110 million years ago. The animal, found in Gadoufaoua, Niger, grew as long as 40 feet and weighed as much as eight metric tons.
If today’s your birthday, you share it with…
- Johann Strauss II 1825
- Georges Bizet 1838
- Pablo Picasso 1881
- Richard Byrd 1888
- Leo G. Carroll 1892
- Whit Bissell 1909
- Minnie Pearl (Sarah Ophelia Colley) 1912
- Lee MacPhail 1917
- Chubby Jackson 1918
- Bobby Thomson 1923
- Earl Palmer 1924
- Billy Barty 1924
- Jimmy Heath (Heath Brothers) 1926
- Barbara Cook 1927- Actress
- Marion Ross 1928- Actress ("Happy Days")
- Jeanne Cooper 1928- Actress
- Tony Franciosa 1928- Actor
- Earl Ingarfield, Sr. 1934- Hockey player
- Jeanne Black 1937
- Bobby Knight 1940- Basketball coach
- Anne Tyler 1941- Author
- Helen Reddy 1942
- Jon Anderson 1944- Singer (Yes)
- Taffy Danoff (Starland Vocal Band) 1944
- Glen Tipton 1948- (Judas Priest)
- Brian Kerwin 1949- Actor
- Matthias Jabs 1955- Musician (Scorpions)
- Nancy Cartwright 1957- Actress ("The Simpsons")
- Mark Miller (Sawyer Brown) 1958
- Nick Thorp (Curiosity Killed the Cat) 1958
- Christina Amphlett (Divinyls) 1960
- Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 1962
- Tracy Nelson 1963- Actress ("Father Dowling Mysteries")
- Michael Boatman 1964- Actor
- Speech 1968- Singer
- Chely Wright 1970
- Adam Goldberg 1970- Actor
- Ed Robertson (Barenaked Ladies) 1970
- Midori 1971- Violinist
- Pedro Martinez 1971- Baseball player
- Lamont Bentley 1973
- Ben Gould 1980
- Katy Perry 1984 - Singer
- Ciara 1985- Singer