Almanac - Wednesday 2/2/2022
Today is Wednesday, the 2nd of February, 2022
February 2 is the 33rd day of the year
332 days remain until the end of the year
The sun rises at 7:12:34 am
and sunset will be at 5:35:42 pm.
We will have 10 hours and 23 minutes of daylight.
The solar transit will be at 12:24:08 pm.
The first high tide was early this morning at 12:01 am
The first low tide will be at 5:08 am
The next high tide at 10:59 am.
and the final low tide at Ocean Beach tonight will be at 5:51 pm.
The Moon is currently 2.7% visible
First Quarter Moon in 6 days on Tuesday the 8th of February of 2022 at 5:50 am
Today is also….
On this day in Black History…
On this day in 1990, South African President F.W. de Klerk lifted the 30-year ban on the African National Congress, resulting in the release from prison of Nelson Mandela and marking the beginning of the end of apartheid.
– In 1839, Inventor Edmond Berger patented the spark plug.
– In 1897, Alfred L. Cralle invented the ice cream scooper, patent #576,395
– In 1862 District of Columbia abolishes slavery
In 1948 President Truman sent Congress an Anti-Lynching Message urging adoption of a civil rights program, including a fair employment practices commission and anti-lynching and anti-poll tax measures.
In 1956 Coasters sign with Atlantic Records
– In 1962 Seven whites and four blacks were arrested after all-night sit-in at Englewood, N.J., city hall. Four Black mothers arrested after sit-in at Chicago elementary school. Mothers later received suspended $50 fines.
And if today is your birthday, Happy Birthday To You! You share your special day with…
1912 -- Herbert Mills, of the original Mills Brothers Quartet, was born in Piqua, Ohio. The highly successful quartet was known for its smooth harmony.
– In 1914 artist William Ellisworth was born in Washington, North Carolina
1924 – Sonny Stitt, American saxophonist and composer (d. 1982)
1995 – Trayvon Martin. He would have been 27 years old today.