Almanac - Friday 2/15/19
Enjoy a gumdrop. Afterall, it's National Gumdrop Day!
Today is Friday, February 15, 2019. 33 days until spring, and a mere 627 days until the next presidential election.
- Sunrise: 7:00am
- Sunset: 5:49pm ...giving us 10 hours and 49 minutes of daylight.
69% of the waxing gibbous moon now visible, rising at 1:38pam.
Tides at the Golden Gate
- High: 7:10am/9:38pm
- Low: 12:53am/2:15pm
Special celebrations & commemorations today…
- National Day - Serbia
- National Flag Day - Canada
- National Lamb Day - New Zealand
- Angelman Syndrome Day
- Remember The Maine Day
- Susan B. Anthony Day
- World Information Architecture Day
- National Hippo Day
- National Caregivers Day
- National Gumdrop Day
- No One Eats Alone Day
On this day in…
1758 - Mustard was advertised for the first time in America.
1764 - The city of St. Louis was established.
1799 - Printed ballots were authorized for use in elections in the state of Pennsylvania.
1842 - Adhesive postage stamps were used for the first time by the City Dispatch Post (Office) in New York City.
1898 - The USS Maine sank when it exploded in Havana Harbor for unknown reasons. More than 260 crew members were killed.
1900 - The British threaten to use natives in their war with the Boers.
1903 - Morris and Rose Michtom, Russian immigrants, introduced the first teddy bear in America.
1932 - George Burns and Gracie Allen debuted as regulars on "The Guy Lombardo Show" on CBS radio.
1933 - U.S. President-elect Franklin Roosevelt escaped an assination attempt in Miami. Chicago Mayor Anton J. Cermak was killed in the attack.
1942 - During World War II, Singapore surrendered to the Japanese.
1946 - Edith Houghton, at age 33, was signed as a baseball scout by the Philadelphia Phillies becoming the first female scout in the major leagues.
1953 - The first American to win the women’s world figure skating championship was 17-year-old Tenley Albright.
1965 - Canada displayed its new red and white maple leaf flag. The flag was to replace the old Red Ensign standard.
1982 - During a storm, the Ocean Ranger, a drilling rig, sank off the coast of Newfoundland. 84 men were killed.
1985 - The Center for Disease Control reported that more than half of all nine-year-olds in the U.S. showed no sign of tooth decay.
1989 - After nine years of intervention, the Soviet Union announced that the remainder of its troops had left Afghanistan.
1991 - The leaders of Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland signed the Visegard agreement, in which they pledged to cooperate in transforming thier countties to free-market economies.
1995 - The FBI arrested Kevin Mitnick and charged him with cracking security in some of the nation's most protected computers. He served five years in jail.
2002 - U.S. President George W. Bush approved Nevada's Yucca Mountain as a site for long-term disposal of radioactive nuclear waste
Today’s birthday celebrants include (or included)...
- Galileo Galilei 1564 - Astronomer
- John Sutter 1803
- Cyrus McCormick 1809 - Inventor
- Charles Tiffany 1812
- Susan B. Anthony 1820 - American suffragist
- John Barrymore 1882 - Birth certificate shows February 14th, family bible shows February 15th
- Harold Arlen 1905
- Cesar Romero 1907
- Kevin McCarthy 1914
- Harvey Korman 1927
- Graham Hill 1929
- Claire Bloom 1931
- Bill Bradley (Will Jr.) 1938
- Brian Holland 1941 - Songwriter
- Mick Avory (The Kinks) 1944
- John Helliwell (Supertramp) 1945
- David Brown (Santana) 1947
- Marisa Berenson 1948
- Jane Seymour 1951 - Actress man")
- Melissa Manchester 1951 - Singer
- Matt Groening 1954 - Cartoonist ("The Simpsons")
- Ali Campbell 1959 - Musician (UB40)
- Mikey Craig 1960 - Musician (Culture Club)
- Chris Farley 1964
- Michael Easton 1967
- Renee O'Connor 1971
- Brandon Boyd 1976 - Musician (Incubus), author