Radio Journalism Training from KALW and Oakland Voices
KALW Public Radio is partnering with Oakland Voices to present a
Radio Journalism Training
Add to your journalistic tool kit by learning how to produce a radio story!
Participants will learn how to:
- Write for radio
- Tell stories through sound
- Voice their own narration
Oakland Voices reporters will help produce stories for KALW’s Hey Area series, which answers listeners’ questions about the Bay Area. For this special Hey Area project, we're specifically reaching out to East Oakland residents for questions about their community. We'll broadcast these stories on KALW's airwaves and website, and possibly as part of our Sights & Sounds of East Oakland live event.
- Email Jen Chien at jchien.media@gmail to sign up!
- Attend a daylong training on Saturday, October 28
- Participants are also asked to help table at the Day of the Dead Festival on Sunday, October 29 in the Fruitvale neighborhood, where we will be crowdsourcing story ideas from the public!
Participants will receive a stipend for completion of story and presentation/broadcast. This opportunity is open to OV Alum who have previously collaborated with KALW as well as those who have not. Stay tuned — there will also be more opportunities like this in the spring!