KALW is calling all applicants for Audio Academy, our unique nine-month radio journalism training program at KALW Public Radio, an NPR and BBC affiliate in San Francisco.
This program is designed to give you a professional audio production and journalism education, tuition-free.
We are looking for:
- Creative thinkers, great writers, audiophiles who dream in sound & story
- Anyone who is hungry to break into the world of audio journalism
- People with a passion for covering a diversity of communities
- Ideally, people who are knowledgeable about the Bay Area
- Team players ready to work hard in a supportive newsroom
- Fans of workday dance parties (appreciated but not required!)
About the program
You will be an integral part of the production of our award-winning daily news show, Crosscurrents. Our show is known for “going deeper” and telling nuanced, sound-rich stories. You’ll help with some newsroom tasks like fact-checking and research, while also getting to pitch and produce your own radio features in our supportive, collaborative newsroom.
In addition, you will receive in-depth training in audio journalism and production through weekly evening seminars taught by KALW reporters, engineers, and special guests. Seminar topics include: field recording; editing in Protools; writing for radio; and voicing. In addition, every Audio Academy fellow will receive one-on-one mentorship from Crosscurrents staff as well as shadowing opportunities.
Commitment and Timeline:
Start date: Wednesday, September 4, 2019
End date: Thursday, June 11, 2020
Participants will be asked to commit to a minimum of 16 hours of work per week. This includes one regularly scheduled eight-hour shift in our newsroom (Monday–Thursday) and another eight hours working in the field, producing your own stories. We do our best to accommodate everyone’s schedules for these newsroom days.
Participants will also be asked to attend weekly evening seminars (6:30 to 9 p.m.) on Wednesdays from September to December and then monthly evening seminars (6:30 to 9 p.m.) on the first Wednesday of each month from January to June.
The Academy includes a two-week break in late December and two flexible vacation weeks for each participant. Enrollment in a college or university is not necessary to participate. This is a free and unpaid training opportunity.
How to apply
To apply, please submit the following:
- A cover letter that tells us why you want to be in the Audio Academy; how you hope to use the training that we provide; and why your perspective is one that needs to be represented in the world of public radio and podcasting
- A resume with any relevant experience
- (Optional) A sample of your audio work. Up to 2 samples max. Please either include links to work online or MP3 files
- (Optional) A short (1–3 minutes max) original audio work that you craft for your application that tells us something about yourself
Don't be afraid to let your personality shine through in your cover letter and optional audio work — we want to know who you are!
Send it all to KALWapplications@gmail.com.
Please use the subject line: Audio Academy 2019-2020 Application.
Application deadline: Friday, April 12th at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.
We will let applicants know their status by May 6th.
Questions? Email Marissa at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to meeting you!
KALW encourages a diverse pool of applicants from a variety of backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. We value diversity.