Here's to you (for socially distancing)...It's Sauvignon Blanc Day!
Today is Friday, April 24, 2020, the 114th day of the year. 58 days until summer, and only 193 days until presidential elections (if civilization survives).
- Sunrise: 6:22am
- Sunset: 7:54pm ...giving us 13 hours 31min of daylight.
It’s a new moon, so it won’t be visible, but will indeed rise at 7:29am.
Tides at the Golden Gate
- High: 12:38am/2:01pm
- Low: 7:07am/6:54pm
Special celebrations & commemorations today…
- Armenian Genocide Memorial Day
- National Concord Day - Niger
- World Day for Animals in Laboratories
- World Meningitis Day
- National Day of Silence
- National Hairball Awareness Day
- National Teach Children to Save Day
- National Arbor Day
- National Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day
- Sauvignon Blanc Day
On this day in…
1519 - Envoys of Montezuma II attended the first Easter mass in Central America.
1547 - Charles V's troops defeated the Protestant League of Schmalkalden at the battle of Muhlburg.
1558 - Mary, Queen of Scotland, married the French dauphin, Francis.
1800 - The Library of Congress was established with a $5,000 allocation.
1805 - The U.S. Marines attacked and captured the town of Derna in Tripoli.
1833 - A patent was granted for first soda fountain.
1877 - Russia declared war on the Ottoman Empire.
1877 - In the U.S., federal troops were ordered out of New Orleans. This was the end to the North's post-Civil War rule in the South.
1884 - Otto von Bismarck cabled Cape Town that South Africa was now a German colony.
1898 - Spain declared war on the U.S., rejecting America's ultimatum for Spain to withdraw from Cuba.
1915 - During World War I, the Ottoman Turkish Empire began the mass deportation of Armenians.
1916 - Irish nationalist launched the Easter Rebellion against British occupation forces. They were overtaken several days later.
1944 - The first B-29 arrived in China, over the Hump of the Himalayas.
1953 - Winston Churchill was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
1961 - U.S. President Kennedy accepted "sole responsibility" following Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba.
1962 - MIT sent a TV signal by satellite for the first time.
1967 - Soviet astronaut Vladimir Komarov died when his craft crashed with a tangled parachute.
1970 - The People's Republic of China launched its first satellite.
1973 - Albert Sabin reported that herpesviruses were factors in nine kinds of cancer.
1989 - Thousands of students began striking in Beijing.
1990 - The space shuttle Discovery blasted off from Cape Canaveral, FL. It was carrying the $1.5 billion Hubble Space Telescope.
1997 - The U.S. Senate ratified the Chemical Weapons Convention. The global treaty banned the development, production, storage and use of chemical weapons.
If today’s your birthday, you share it with…
- Shirley MacLaine 1934 - Actress
- Jill Ireland 1936
- Sue Grafton 1940 - Author
- Barbra Streisand 1942 - Singer
- Doug Clifford 1945 - Musician (Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR))
- Eric Bogosian 1953 - Actor
- Vince Ferragamo 1954
- Michael O'Keefe 1955
- Boris Williams 1958 - Musician (Cure)
- Cedric the Entertainer 1964 - Actor, comedian
- Brian Aubrey Marshall 1973 - Musician (Creed)
- Eric Balfour 1977 - Actor
- Kelly Clarkson (Kelly Brianne Clarkson) 1983 - Singer