KALW is calling all applicants for our 2021 summer journalism program! The deadline to apply is Monday, March 8, 2021.
This is a great opportunity for someone who has a basic level of experience producing radio features, and wants to build on that experience and grow in our supportive, collaborative newsroom.
About the program
You’ll gain experience in a working newsroom, build your portfolio, and connect with a community of creative audio makers.
You’ll participate in the production of our daily news magazine show, Crosscurrents, by helping with newsroom tasks like fact-checking and research. You’ll produce your own stories for air, working with editors who value your voice and engineers who strive for creative, sound-rich storytelling. This is an unpaid opportunity; training will be provided. You’ll attend four evening seminars taught by professionals in the field and receive informal mentorship from our award-winning staff. And you’ll become a part of the KALW family, a network of KALW staff and trainees past and present, who support and cheer each other on. And did we mention our dance parties?
We’re looking for candidates who:
- Have demonstrable experience producing radio features, including interviewing, field recording, writing for radio, and digitally editing audio
- Are computer literate, especially with Macs and Google Docs
- Are self-starters who can work independently and also enjoy collaboration
- Are thinkers, great writers, and storytellers
- Are knowledgeable about issues affecting Bay Area communities
Commitment and Timeline:
Start date: May 26, 2021
End date: September 24, 2021
Participants will be asked to commit to a minimum of 16 hours per week. This includes at least one regularly scheduled eight-hour shift in our newsroom (Monday - Thursday), with at least 8 hours set aside for producing your own stories, with support from our editorial, engineering, and content management team.
We’re open to working with students whose universities provide academic credit or stipends for internships, and we can accommodate most program requirements. Please let us know in your application. Enrollment in a college or university is not necessary to apply.
If you’re not able to commit for the duration of the program, some exceptions may be possible - please explain more in your application. We do our best to accommodate people’s schedules.
How to apply
To apply, please prepare the following:
- A cover letter that includes: why you want to be in this program; what you would bring to KALW; why your perspective is one that needs to be represented in the world of public radio and podcasting; and what experience you have producing audio stories, including audio editing experience and any relevant journalism experience you have
- 2-3 samples of your work, at least one of which should be an audio story. Please either include URLs to work already online or upload to SoundCloud.
Don't be afraid to let your personality shine through in your cover letter and optional audio work — we want to know who you are!
Submit your application materials through our online form.
Application deadline: March 8, 2021, 11:59 p.m. PT
We will let applicants know their status by April 5, 2021.
We look forward to meeting you!
KALW also offers a nine-month training program, the Audio Academy, for people who have no previous experience in radio. Learn more here.
KALW encourages applicants from all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation, physical ability, or other non-merit based factor.