KALW News Story Editor
The KALW News team is looking for an experienced audio story editor to work on daily newscasts, our daily news magazine Crosscurrents, and other projects. You’ll work in a highly collaborative and supportive newsroom, joining our award-winning team producing spots, short and long-form features and innovative podcasts.
As part of its mission, the KALW News department trains many people in the art and craft of journalistic audio storytelling. It makes for a dynamic and energized newsroom. We have a team of experienced core staffers and contributors with whom you’ll collaborate, but you’ll also work with people who are still learning to do this work well.
This is an independent contract position for 40 hours a week. Pay is dependent on experience. Candidates must reside in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Experience writing, editing, and voicing spot stories for newscasts
- Experience editing feature-length audio story scripts
- Experience writing or editing spotlessly clean copy
- Competence using Google Drive
- Solid interpersonal skills – our newsroom is diverse and fun and sometimes a little crazy
- Ability to work onsite at KALW at least two days per week
- Experience teaching audio journalism and related skills
- Live, on-air experience
- Experience managing collaborative projects
- Experience coordinating and motivating a team
KALW encourage applicants of all backgrounds and we want you to show us your authentic self in your application. We strive to be a workplace where everyone feels that they belong, that their voice matters, and that they are challenged and supported to do their best work.
To apply, please send a cover letter (including your reasons for applying for this particular position, a little about your editing approach or philosophy, and what about you or your life experiences might help us diversify our staff or coverage), CV, clips or links, and three references (including at least one reporter you have edited) to KALWapplications@gmail.com. Application deadline is Sunday, June 27, 2021, 11:59 p.m. PT.