It's SUPPORT KALW DAY!
Today is Friday, May 11, 2018, the 131st day of the year with 234 days remaining.
- Sunrise: 6:03am
- Sunset: 8:09pm
...giving us 14 hours and 6 minutes of daylight. 24% of the moon will be visible, setting at 4:13pm.
Tides at the Golden Gate
- High: 9:28am/9:58pm
- Low: 3:31am/3:12pm
- Eat What You Want Day
- Hostess Cupcake Day
- National Mocha Torte Day
- Military Spouse Appreciation Day
- National Foam Rolling Day
- Root Canal Appreciation Day
- Child Care Provider Day
- Fintastic Friday: Giving Sharks A Voice
On this day in…
0330 - Constantinople, previously the town of Byzantium, was founded.
1573 - Henry of Anjou became the first elected king of Poland.
1647 - Peter Stuyvesant arrived in New Amsterdam to become governor.
1689 - French and English naval battle takes place at Bantry Bay.
1745 - French forces defeat an Anglo-Dutch-Hanoverian army at Fontenoy.
1792 - The Columbia River was discovered by Captain Robert Gray.
1812 - British prime Minister Spencer Perceval was shot by a bankrupt banker in the lobby of the House of Commons.
1816 - The American Bible Society was formed in New York City.
1857 - Indian mutineers seized Delhi from the British.
1860 - Giuseppe Garibaldi landed at Marsala, Sicily.
1889 - Major Joseph Washington Wham takes charge of $28,000 in gold and silver to pay troops at various points in the Arizona Territory. The money was stolen in a train robbery.
1894 - Workers at the Pullman Palace Car Company in Illinois went on strike.
1910 - Glacier National Park in Montana was established.
1927 - The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was founded.
1934 - A severe two-day dust storm stripped the topsoil from the great plains of the U.S. and created a "Dust Bowl." The storm was one of many.
1944 - A major offensive was launched by the allied forces in central Italy.
1947 - The creation of the tubeless tire was announced by the B.F. Goodrich Company.
1949 - Siam changed its name to Thailand.
1960 - Israeli soldiers captured Adolf Eichmann in Buenos Aires.
1967 - The siege of Khe Sanh ended.
1985 - More than 50 people died when a flash fire swept a soccer stadium in Bradford, England.
1995 - The Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty was extended indefinitely. The treaty limited the spread of nuclear material for military purposes.
1996 - An Atlanta-bound ValuJet DC-9 caught fire shortly after takeoff from Miami and crashed into the Florida Everglades. All 110 people on board were killed.
1997 - Garry Kasparov, world chess champion, lost his first ever multi-game match. He lost to IBM's chess computer Deep Blue. It was the first time a computer had beaten a world-champion player.
1998 - India conducted its first underground nuclear tests, three of them, in 24 years. The tests were in violation of a global ban on nuclear testing.
1998 - A French mint produced the first coins of Europe's single currency. The coin is known as the euro.
Today’s birthday celebrants include (or included)...
- Irving Berlin 1888 - Composer, lyricist
- Martha Graham 1894 - Dancer, choreographer
- William Grant Still 1895 - Classical composer
- Salvador Dali (Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech) 1904 - Surrealist painter
- Phil Silvers 1912 - Entertainer, comedy actor ("The Phil Silvers Show")
- Foster Brooks 1912 - Actor, comedian
- Doodles Weaver (Winstead Sheffield "Doodles" Weaver) 1914 - Actor, comedian
- Denver Dell Pyle 1920 - Actor
- Mort Sahl (Morton Lyon "Mort" Sahl) 1927 - Comedian, actor
- Stanley Elkin 1930 - Novelist, short story writer, essayist
- Louis Farrakhan (Louis Eugene Walcott) 1933 - National Representative of the Nation of Islam
- Doug McClure 1938 - Actor
- Eric Burdon 1941 - Musician (The Animals)
- Les Chadwick 1943 - Musician (Gerry & The Pacemakers)
- Dr. Robert Jarvik 1946 - Scientist, researcher, entrepreneur
- Frances Fisher 1952 - Actress ("Titanic," "Unforgiven")
- Shohreh Adhdashloo 1952 - Actress
- Boyd Gaines 1953 - Actor
- Mark Herndon 1955 - Musician (Alabama)
- J.J. Jeczalik 1955 - Musician (Art of Noise)
- Martha Quinn 1959 - One of the original video jockeys on MTV
- Natasha Richardson 1963 - Actress
- Jeffrey Donovan 1968 - Actor ("Burn Notice")
- Austin O'Brien 1980 - Actor
- Jonathan Jackson 1982 - Actor
- Cory Monteith 1982 - Actor ("Glee")